Improve yourself, improve your career with edX
The new year is all about fresh starts, new goals, and resolutions, but did you know that the beginning of the year is also the best time to start looking for a job? The start of the year signifies the time that most companies receive their hiring budgets for the year and plan for new hires.
This makes new year the perfect time to improve yourself and improve your career, by looking for a new job in a different industry or by working toward a promotion. EdX is here to help you set the goal to accomplish what you’ve always been dreaming about, but maybe haven’t taken the first step yet. Whether you’re looking to get to the next level in your current role or to break into a new and growing industry, a new year brings new opportunities to learn something new, gain important skills, improve your resume, CV or LinkedIN and t stand out at work.
How can you get started? We’ve put together a helpful career guide that you can reference as you start on the journey to advance your career and identify the online courses from the world’s top universities on edX that can help.
Discovering ‘what’s next’
- How do you know when you’re ready to make career change? Check out this blog on the vital signs that indicate you’re in need of switching things up.
- Are you unsure about what career you’d like to pursue, what you’d be good at doing, or what you have to do to realize your dreams for the future? Here are some helpful steps from Thomas Kochan, Professor of Management at MIT Sloan School of Management, on developing a career plan.
- Once you know the direction you’re headed, take a look through Laurie Pickard, of No-Pay MBA, advice on how to advance your career through MOOC education.
Securing the job of your dreams
- Looking to get hired by the company you’ve always wanted to work for? No matter what job you are applying for, there are skills that help you stand out from the crowd and get hired in any industry. Learn what those skills are (and how you can get them) here.
- Preparing for a job interview? How will you answer questions that might come up? Adam Forrester, a Lecturer at the English Language Centre of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, shares advice on how you can set yourself up for success.
Showcasing your knowledge
- Want to make sure that your resume/CV is the LAST one that an employer reads? Demonstrate how you are the best candidate for any job with these tips on how to write an effective CV from Keenan Manning, a Project Associate at the English Language Centre of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- If 2017 is the year you look to online learning to advance your career, you’ll need to share your newfound knowledge in an impactful way. Here’s how you can add weight to your CV by including online courses and how you can share your online achievements on LinkedIn.
Discover courses and programs with real career relevancy in in-demand fields like computer science, project management and cybersecurity and start making 2017 your best year yet!