In a world full of noise, how do you share your own perspective and have meaningful conversations? Whether you want to speak out in your community, lead a group, or constructively debate with your friends and family, the importance of effective communication skills can’t be emphasized enough—particularly in these turbulent times.
Browse our lookbook highlighting ten courses that cover core concepts and practical skills for communicating strategically as a social change agent, a leader, and an individual.
Courses for Social Change Agents
The right words can change the world. No matter what form your communication takes, using it to bring light to personal, social, and political issues can change minds, introduce solutions, and help you become a more engaged global citizen.
- Learn how to use media to promote a social cause in Activism and Citizen Journalism through Media from WitsX.
- Find out how to craft stories that develop empathy and deliver impact in Storytelling for Social Change from MichiganX.
- Harness the power of writing to bring about personal, social, and political changes that matter in Writing for Social Justice from BerkeleyX.
Courses for Leaders
Whether you’re leading a community group or managing a team in the workplace, you need to be able to convey information, set expectations, and motivate your team. Strong communication skills will not only ensure you can do all of that, but also help you build networks and gain support from other leaders.
- Start developing your ability to lead profound social, environmental, and personal transformation in u.lab: Leading From the Emerging Future from MITx.
- Identify and develop assertiveness and empathy, the most important communication skills, in Effective Communication for Today’s Leader from TecdeMonterrayX.
- Learn how leaders make managerial and relevant decisions based on data in Leading Digital and Data Decision Making from ASUx.
Courses for Everyone
No matter what role you’re playing at home, in your community, or in your workplace, enhancing your communication skills will serve you well. From learning how to start meaningful dialogue with someone who has a different background or political view from your own to becoming a confident speaker, there are a number of new skills you can add to your communication toolkit this year.
- Develop practical communication skills to mend divides and build a more tolerant and inclusive world in Communication Skills for Dialoguing Across Difference from CatalystX.
- Gain critical communication skills in writing and public speaking in Rhetoric: The Art of Persuasive Writing and Public Speaking from HarvardX.
- Learn to analyze events with intellectual rigor and identify how reasoned decisions help cope with change in Critical Thinking: Reasoned Decision Making from TecdeMonterrayX.
- Build confidence as a speaker by learning how to use simple tools and skills to prepare and deliver memorable presentations in Public Speaking from RITx.