Learning with MOOCs Workshop: August 12 & 13, 2014
August 11, 2014 | Candace Hazlett
In keeping with the spirit of MOOCs, the event organizers have coordinated with MIT to make many of the presentations and workshops available to view online. Watch the webcast live here, and join the conversation by following @edXOnline, @LWMOOCs and the event hashtag #LWMOOCs on Twitter.
Click here to view the complete program at the LWMOOCs site, which includes links to presenter bios and research papers.
Schedule of LWMOOCs Webcast Events
Tuesday, August 12, 2014:
9:00 AM – 9:30 AM: Opening Session
- Welcome — Anant Agarwal, edX
- Overview of Learning with MOOCs Workshop – Candace Thille, Open Learning Initiative, Stanford University
9:30 AM – 10:30 AM
- Keynote: The Learning Perspective — Susan Singer, National Science Foundation
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
- Keynote: OER and the State of the MOOC — Cathy Casserly, Hewlett Foundation
2:30 PM – 3:30 PM
- Research Track: Lightning Round Session 1 — Facilitated by Rebecca Petersen, 8 short presentations covering research topics that include student persistence, big data in MOOCs, peer grading and social factors
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Teaching Track: Lightning Round Session 2 — Facilitated by Marie Cini, 7 short presentations covering a variety of topics that include blended learning, MOOCs on campus, and sharing of experiences in teaching via MOOCs
7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Keynote Panel: How MOOC Platforms Enable Learning –Panelists include Anant Agarwal (edX), Vivek Goel (Coursera), Melissa Loble (Canvas), and Mark Lester (FutureLearn). Moderator: Diana Oblinger (EDUCAUSE)
Wednesday, August 13, 2014:
9:00 AM – 10:00 AM
- Keynote: The Research Perspective — Richard Clark, University of Southern California
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Technology Track: Lightning Round Session 3 — Facilitated by Sanjoy Mahajan, 6 short presentations that cover different technologies and tools being developed to aid learning via MOOCs. Topics include Lab-based MOOCs, personalized learning technologies, and MathWorks tools.
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
- Design Track: Lightning Round Session 4 — Facilitated by John Zornig, 6 short presentations that cover different design strategies including enabling student collaborations, and experimenting with OpenEdX.
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
- Research Track: Panel Discussion — Learner Engagement and Motivation in MOOCs
3:30 PM – 4:30 PM
- Town Hall Meeting — Final coming together as a group to discuss lessons, concerns, and vision for the future